Thursday, April 22, 2010

Marcel's Intro


Hello to all.

A few words about myself: I have been drawing comics as long as I could write a little (age 7). As the typical art school drop-out, I started self-publishing in 1987, inspired by the DIY wave of the punk era (although I wasn't into punkrock musically). Contributed to numerous fanzines and the like. I am proud to be with the Le Dernier Cri family, with two silkscreened books, a poster and a Tarot card set. My style has changed a couple of times through the years. My current art is a lot lighter, inspired by medieval imagery. I did two graphic novels in this style, Sine Qua Non and Inferno (the latter is a playful adaptation of Dante Alighieri's masterpiece) which met with some success in Holland, France and Hungary. At the moment, I am working on a follow-up, based on the lives of saints. Please note that I am not religious nor a lapsed catholic with a grudge. History fascinates me and when dealing with the Middle Ages, religion comes with the territory.
I hope to share some neat off-beat artwork on this blog. This picture is from my latest LDC book, Bestiarium. Thank you.

8 comments:

Aeron said...

I'm very happy to see you posting here, Marcel. I've been a great fan of yours for many years. I saw pictures of the Bestiarium that you did for Le Dernier Cri and was fascinated with the bizarre assortment of creatures, many referencing those classic designs of, what, 15th, 16th century woodcuts? Incredible stuff.

I stumbled onto your work by sheer accident many years ago at a comic shop in Chicago, I was poking around their art zines section and found a copy of your troglodytes book which I really enjoyed. I loved the labyrinthine passages filled with the rock like characters.

Human Mollusk said...

Welcome aboard Marcel!
Like Aeron, I admire your work, both from the Troglodyte period and your more recent medieval world. I love how you use the iconic language of those illuminated manuscripts for modern comix and thereby achieve - I think - a rather timeless mix, while still avoiding it becoming too eclectic.

Gaspard Pitiot said...

Very good surprise! I know your work too ‘n I like it. Welcome!

Uland said...

Huge score for EBD getting Marcel fucking Ruijters!!

Jimmy Giegerich said...

Awesome work! Welcome aboard!

Robert Adam Gilmour said...

I also have your Troglodytes book, I really liked it and I like what limited amount of your other work I have seen.

Marcel Ruijters said...

Thanks, all! My work does seem to get around more than I knew. This place is starting to feel like home already, with like-minded spirits. I will post more new stuff soon. @Aeron: 12th century illumination rules my world, these days.

Michelle | Vinyl Banner Printing said...

That picture is quite odd looking, but I won't be able to make something as good as this ever. Nice work.