Saturday, April 26, 2008

I wish that the United States was more like the pictures i draw

From a series of Modernist inspired limited palate pieces i was working on the summer of 2006. There's one other, but it sold & i don't think i scanned it in. I'm quite pleased with them still & will probably work in this style again.

I like to draw people/things carrying pigs, i also have a collection of pictures of people carrying pigs around. I love pigs & butchers. I wish that the United States was more like the pictures i draw. Most traditional butchers in the USA serve the yuppie niche market, so they aren't actually traditional. Seems that way for most things, old world foods & traditions serve a niche yuppie market & eschew working class values like being tough as nails, gregarious & cheap. I would like to buy an enormous tankard of locally made lager (pitcher sized) for $3 & get a fresh made pretzel & some cheese on the side in a working class atmosphere but it ain't happening. This is why i must draw this stuff.
butcher

This android bear busker has a crazy steam powered, amplified accordion. I am not into buskers in general, but there is something pathetic & heart warming about this poor little android bear & his high-tech old world instrument.
android bear musician

Maybe one day after commercial space travel has gotten cheap enough for us all to go out & become space pioneers, i'll be able to start my own planet with stuff like this going on.

3 comments:

Robert Adam Gilmour said...

I like it when people draw things wondering why they left the world and wondering if they really were all the common in the first place. I feel like I've seen all these big fat butchers,, but I cant recall one proper memory of any of those guys. Maybe it was just TV.

Aeron said...

These are awesome compositions! And some crazy ass characters too. The bear pic reminds me of this small spider monkey or whatever the hell those things are called, the smaller monkeys that the Italian guys always have on a leash. There was someone in my hometown that had one that he'd have on display at the local festivals that would do tricks for a quarter named Louie. Apparently the goddamn thing got loose and local cops were on the look out for it. This is a small town of under 10,000 so they had nothing better to do, I guess.

Anyhow, some people I know called the cops saying the monkey was in front of their house near some trees. These people were having a party and.. under a lot of influences. But they just wanted to watch the cops make asses of themselves looking for a monkey which by the way was not there. They just did this to fuck with the police while they got high in their house across the street which I thought was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard.

End rant!

zeke said...

Innaresting stuff, the limited colour palette looks cool.