Thursday, April 19, 2007

Botticelli's Inferno


I've been obsessed with Botticelli's drawings for Dante's Divine Comedy lately. It led me to discover this really amazing gallery.
Many of the drawings from this series can be found at the bottom of this page and this one.
It's been a huge inspiration for my comic book stuff. There's more drawings that can be found on the other pages or levels of hell displayed on the front gallery page. And this place has introduced me to another amazing artist, Suloni Robertson. Their work can be found as the very colorful and visceral paintings of monsters and mutilated characters at the top of each gallery page. Take a look at some of them here and here. Some of the art reminded me of Clive Barker's recent paintings for his Abarat storyline.

No comments: